Friday, April 27, 2012

...read short stories


I was asked if I would miss this…the States, these familiarities, the relationships of tongue. I barely thought for a moment before abruptly stating, “No.”
How heartless.

But in my understanding of the verb “to miss” I sense regret or sadness…a great loss in the current situation that breeds longing for a former one, i.e. I miss my old job because this new one is dry; I miss my car now that it’s totaled; I miss Jennifer, the loveliest woman I knew. So my immediate answer reflected this truth: that I do not expect regret to infect my travels…and, that I am, indeed, heartless.

But few English words bear such stringent definitions, so I have thus softened, as ice cream over time or in heat. Can “to miss” mean something gentler, so that in doing so, in missing, one isn’t meandering one’s way into melancholic nostalgia, but simply sensing the loss of deep human contact? Of course. Why even ask such a question? Because that’s how words come to rest in peace and page, I suppose.

So my answer is “Yes.” I will miss you. I will sense the loss of our connection. Of course.

But this is not the first time I have done this type of traveling. Nor is it the second or third. Indeed, I have lived a peripatetic life of late. And that, ladies and gentlemen and dad, as Emily Dickinson would say, is a word to hang your hat on: peripatetic. I learned it first from one of those great and thoroughly American creations of wit and word which were so widely read in a more romantic time than this. Short Stories. In 1904, a man by the (pseudo)name of O. Henry serially penned The Furnished Room, a mysteriously beautiful story, like a lace slip over smooth skin. You should read it.

But I digress, mother. Peripatetic. It means moving often. Not staying put for too long. Like a job-hopper or modern nomad. With early years spent on planes, my young skin pinched by aged Chinese calluses, I believe my blood became peripatetic, for its lust of a certain place/time/experience/person is “fugacious as time itself” (Again, O. Henry. Fugacious: more attractive for fleeting. I hang my hat, Em).

So as I have and continue to ‘peripatet,’ I know well the rise and fall of departure and reunion, and though with no heart to store it, will know it again. This time in two days. And I will try to prolong the connection, or perhaps shrink the gap, by writing these blogs, my own short stories, in hopes you will read them and our love for one another will be kindled by a distant flame. Or succulent vocabulary, anyway.

So read them. After all, Simon does say…

7 comments:

  1. I also like the word my dictionary came up with for fugacious: evanescent.
    I should like to read "The Furnished Room" sometime.
    I look forward to reading your blog. I have it saved as a fast link on my Firefox dash and in my Google reader (which I have yet to actually use... baby steps, baby steps)
    I make a lot of I statements. It's always been the greatest weakness in my writing.
    I must have issues (mother)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to "follow you" on this journey. And I'm very thankful that you defined your words, otherwise I would not be able to follow this. I pray that God rains down His Spirit on you and fills you with awe and wonder as you travel and ponder. A life changing journey I'm sure. Much love, The Frosts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Good job, Simon, can't wait to follow your journey . . . a little vicarious living . . . ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much fun celebrating with you last night...you will be missed in our little family however we celebrate this adventure and so wish you well and send you off with smiles (and brewsky!)! Love, the Monk/Bibula Fam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully stated Simon. Your words are a gift and a pleasure to read. Keep those thoughts of your human experience streaming . . . .

    Elaine Moore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll follow you, I just might not 'follow' you. You're a little too deep :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. how deliciously witty and clever you are! i am thoroughly excited to follow your adventures...

    ReplyDelete